I went to Bugis for Chinese New Year shopping though but returned home with nothing except for a lot of sinful food in my tummy. Oh! The ice cream man there sells ice cream super cheap! 80cents for an ice cream bread or waffle. Where else can you get that? And we attempted baking kueh lapis on Saturday night. Gosh. Now we know why one block of that cake costs so much. Our oven was switched on for a whole four hours! By the time it was three quarters done, Sarah was already in her dreamland and I was half asleep.
Yesterday was record-breaking. We left the office, smelling of smoke, close to midnight. There was a Thanksgiving ceremony going on and curiosity made me stay back to watch and participate.

This shows two of the three huge piles of incense paper burnt last night.

This shows the praying and burning of the many statues. I heard there were 300 odd of them in all.
The photo on the left was taken before the prayers started. The one on the right after it began. Notice the picture on the right has many orbs in it while the left one does not. We had many orb-ful ones like that. If you look from the side of the camera when the flash lights up, it is like tiny specks of dust all around. Enlarge the picture big enough and you will be able to see vague deity figures in those orbs. I didn't believe it at first but now, I guess I do (this sounds like a tagline from some slimming ad) after my colleague showed me. I am not sure what these flags that they are praying to are for. My colleague said it is some resting place for the deities? I don't know. But this pile of incense paper was really huge. There was still a tiny fire when I left this evening which is already more than 17 hours since it was lighted up.
