Get the calling?Today, or rather yesterday, I stepped into a church for the first time in ages. Sissy R and I were there for an Easter musical that my friend had invited us to - an invitation I had surprisingly accepted. I had thought this friend joined the church like how so many youngies are attracted to CHC but it turns out she has been with Trinity since 2004. This came as a 'relief' (for the lack of a better word) because that was before the place became increasingly commercialised so you know it's for the right reasons. The venue was great - nice seats, good sound and lighting system etc. - but I felt something was lacking. I think it's the family atmosphere I see in A's church.
The performance was good I felt though Sissy R said CHC's still better. Anyway, after the performance, there was a prayer session where they asked people who wanted to accept God in their lives to step in front and my friend actually asked me to go. I didn't. Then she started preaching when the whole thing ended. My oh my, I agree with Sissy R when she said that C came on too strong for a first time. While she accepted that us both are not ready now, I could almost see a little disappointment on her face. I wish more Christians are like A, not too pushy about their beliefs. In fact, not pushy at all.
There are reasons why I wish to remain a free thinker. The first in relation to Christianity is I'm not willing to give up gambling, wanting to get drunk, clubbing, etc. I see the good Christians around me and I know I can't be one of them so I'd rather not start and be a bad one. The second is I want to keep an open mind about all religions. At present, no one religion is superior to me and I know this will change if I subscribe to a particular religion.
So I guess my next visit to a church will again start with 'Today, I stepped into a church for the first time in ages.'