Experience in Suzhou -- 4This is quite bad, I am just typing down my experiences in China as I recall them in bits and pieces and numbering them from 1 to ___. But better than not even remembering ay?
Anyway, I was mentioning yesterday about firsts. And today I suddenly remember a couple more firsts.
1. Eating the best dumpling I've ever eaten (Ah Ma's handmade dumpling not in consideration) that had dried scallops, mushroom, chestnuts, and other delicious ingredients in the stuffing. I swear it's the most most most yummy dumpling I've eaten EVER. A few days after, we realised each of those mouth-watering dumplings cost more than RMB30 and Our Best Friend had bought 10 and given us 3. RMB30!! Convert it to SGD and it still costs more than 6 bucks. Would you buy a dumpling that is more than 6 bucks?! Me? Sorry, a bit kiam siap, I probably would not unless it's for something/someone special. Plus according to my very limited access to salary information, it does take up a 2-digit percentage of her salary. Wait, it just occurred to me, was it because we are someone special? :D
2. On my last weekend in Suzhou, after my last visit to Bookworm, before Our Best Friend came over for the last gathering at our home, she gave me a call. And the first thing she said was 'Ter, someone has a crush on you!'. Those were her exact words. I was so stunned I immediately burst out laughing. It turned out to be her Bookworm partner, the guy who made me my very first tuna sandwich when I stayed there from light to dark the first Sunday Sissy S wasn't around and Uncle LM was. Apparently, he told her he liked '我这样类型的女生'. Anyway, one day the week after I returned to Singapore, I was suddenly uber enthusiastic about keeping in contact with my newfound acquaintances so I emailed Mr Softee, a fellow Singaporean intern I bumped into in a DVD store at 平江路, and asked Our Best Friend for his email address. As I got a tad busier, I got caught up with other stuff and forgot about this... until today when Our Best Friend asked me to add him on MSN again 'cause '他老是提'. So we just had our very first MSN convo and all's good. I'm officially calling him China boiboi. (:
3. Eating pig's brain, 夫妻肺片 which includes pig's ear and other innards, soft bones, ants, dog meat, cow tendon, and once again rabbit meat (sorry all animal/insect lovers!). Pig's brain is like tofu with a slight pork taste. Pig's ear is crunchy. Soft bones are also crunchy but the hard kind of crunchy. I don't really get why they like to order this for 烧烤. Ants to me is hmm... quite tasteless? Dog meat is tender-er deer meat. Cow tendon is chewy but the nice kind of chewy. Rabbit meat is less tender chicken meat. Other than ants, dog meat and soft bones, I quite like the rest and can't wait to eat them again! Sarah ate a scorpion. I didn't have the guts to.
And I'm missing Szechuan/Hunan food and 烧烤 A LOT A LOT! It's so easy to find a 川菜 or 湘菜 restaurant in Suzhou but here? No where can any be seen! So much so that when I spotted one Szechuan eatery at Chinatown and a 凉皮 stall at Geylang, I was so damn happy though I know I prolly won't patronise them 'cause they just seemed too... well... empty. And you can't even dream of finding a 烧烤 place in Singapore. ):
P.s. Remember to get recipe for 可乐鸡 (coke chicken) from Bo Mei.