12th: License to work
Commencement was finally here. Blue gown, pink sash, black motarboard. I wore them for the first time (and hopefully not my last). Unsurprisingly, I reached UCC just on time. But fortunately, Econs Peeps were there to help dress me up. The speaker's speech was a sales pitch. The valedictorian was a possible lawyer (double Econs and Law degree holder) who couldn't enunciate properly. So it was, in truth, a thoroughly boring affair. The only exciting thing was Sissy S got me my lion! The lion I've been waiting for three years. My lion. Photo-taking everywhere of proud parents, relieved (I reckon?) kids. Overpriced photos that everyone bought (including me) just because this was a once-in-a-lifetime occasion and it'll never happen again. My mom bought us a studio package that we'll use after Sissy S has gotten her graduation gown so that we can take a family portrait with three graduates in the family. The end of slogging at work for them? Perhaps. The start of a new journey for me? Definitely. Only I can't start because I. Haven't. Gotten. A. Damn. Job. It's getting a little frustrating although honestly, there is no pressure from The Ps, because I'm so damn broke and I hate being broke. Please please please let me get a job offer already.
13th: License to drive
The day started at 8.30pm. One last circuit lesson, one last half hour of driving on the roads. First station - vertical parking. My thought process went something like this: Reverse gear. Bump. Oh no. First gear. Okay. Reverse gear. Hit. Oh my gosh, strike kerb twice and I'm not even in the lot. First gear. Okay. Reverse gear. Finally in. Dang, at this rate, I'll never pass my TP.
10.15 - test time! Tester looks pretty kind, thankfully. Slope, parallel parking, vertical parking, crank course, S-course, direction change, road. One strike kerb, one incorrect positioning, and one roll down by less than 2m on slope after, PASS. I'd thought I failed. Tester was surprised that I was a first timer; He praised my handling. YAY, certified driver. With no car to drive. Sissy S (She also passed her test on Friday. Both of us first timers - pro or what? Oh kay, I'll give the credit to our instructor. Thanks A for the referral!) and I were looking at cars during the weekend but alas, we came to the conclusion that we will continue to be driven. Sorry Dad! Sorry friends! Temptation be gone!
License to sail, license to work, license to drive. What next? The PADI Open Water certification? Bronze Medallion? Riding? License to sell houses? License to sell insurance? The last two are really making me go HMMMM.