I am doing this late as usual but better late than never I say, especially when I’m doing an audit for a year like 2010.
2010 wasn’t like any other year. It signified the true becoming of an adult. Who would have thought that when you threw the big 21st I-am-officially-an-adult party with people telling you that you now hold the keys, you were in fact nowhere close to being an adult? If you did, cheers to you forward thinkers! I didn’t.
The three key milestones of the year:
1. 2010 marked the end of my student life and start of my journey in the working world. I remember tearing a little during the valedictorian speech at my commencement ceremony because it suddenly hit me that it has been 16 years of education to prepare us just for this moment – the transformation from student to a working adult. No more being in a forgiving environment where the priority is your learning. No more friends and teachers looking out for you. We were about to step into the dog-eat-dog world that is the corporate world.
But I’ve been extremely fortunate. After the very agonizing job search, I landed a job that provided exactly what I thought was going to be thrown out forever – being in a forgiving environment with people looking out for me. The part about learning applies as well but as you know, it will never be a sole priority because c’mon we’re getting paid for a reason. My bosses are very supportive of us taking up courses however. My big boss even encouraged me to quick go look for one course as the institute my headcount was under was “very rich”.
I have probably done nothing else but rant about my job since my first day but I’m going to take a different stance here. I don’t actually hate all aspects of my job; the only thing I hate is my work. I like my colleagues and love my bosses. This fact especially stood out during my last two weeks. Perhaps it’s because I know I’m going to resign so I’m paying special notice to the goings-on around me or perhaps it’s due to the festive spirit that has enveloped Singapore the past two weeks.
My colleagues are the most helpful people. They answer my incessant questions on the doubts I have, guide me and undo any slipups I had. The good thing about my colleagues is that although that may be just a wee bit of politics, it is as significant as being non-existent. There’s no competition so everyone shares and everyone helps.
And my bosses, oh my awesome bosses. They were the only factor holding me back from my next job, even after I signed the papers and they were the only ones who could give me the assurance I need that this is a move for the better. Not my friends, not my sissy, not my parents. It sure has surprised me that my sense of trepidation of moving on has been replaced by a sense of ease after my talks with them this week. Yes, I have tendered.
Won’t go on too much about 2 and 3 because it has been blogged about previously.
2. 2010 marked the first time I climbed a mountain – Tiny Poon Hill to seasoned mountaineers but Big Poon Hill to me. It was a very new and enriching experience and something I’d like to go through again at least once in the next 5 years. Definitely gave me new perspectives and showed me that nothing is impossible.
3. 2010 marked the second time I participated in the Subaru Challenge. I stood for 19 hours, ten hours longer than my last. But I had a good position and fun car partners so I was quite dissatisfied about being ‘forced’ to leave that early. Oh, the inconveniences of being a woman. We shall conquer the challenge again this year!
Overall, 2010 was one very memorable transition year. From being a student to being a bummer playing mahjong too often to being a working adult, starting on my first real job, quitting my first real job, landing my second job, meeting new people, creating new relationships, renewing old ones, learning new things, challenging my limits – this is one year where I can finally say,
I am thankful and grateful for everyone who has stood beside me in 2010.
