Hospitalisation unlocked - 24 to 28 AugI never would have thought that I would be able to unlock this "achievement" at this age but I did. As a result, I had procrastinated and not purchased my rider plan prior to this episode. In any case, I'll be trying to claim this under my travel insurance.
It started with an innocuous fever 4 days after I returned from Cambodia. It was a Wednesday and Pong's birthday so I even went out for drinks that night. Thursday came and passed - still fairly mild. I wanted to take a MC on Friday but had a test in the morning and it was early Friday anyway so I stuck it out, left work on the dot at 5pm and went straight home. Didn't feel all that well so went to the doctor at night, got some meds and rested.
On hindsight, I felt surprisingly okay during the weekend. There was the mild fever every few hours which I took meds for but overall, it was fine. So off I went to work on Monday. But as the morning wore on, I felt increasingly feverish and unwell so I left after lunch and went back to the GP for another consultation. He prescribed more paracetamol and antibiotics and gave a 2-day MC this time.
2 days passed - fever is still coming back. Friends and colleagues were getting a bit worried by now and advised me to go for blood tests. So I went to the Polyclinic this time. Had blood test, liver test and urine test done. Urine test came back clear. Blood test showed that my platelet count was low and the results of the liver test could only be out in 2 days. Doc sent me home with more antibiotics and paracetamol with a follow-up appointment on Friday.
There was still no improvement on the fever front. In fact, the fever was coming back with a vengeance - high fever every 5 to 6 hours which causes nausea and diarrhoea. I endured it till Friday and made my way to the Polyclinic first thing in the morning. Took another blood test and the results of my liver test also came back. There was no change in my platelet count (it was still low at 116) and my liver enzymes were elevated. The doc decided to refer me to A&E for more tests to be done, primarily for dengue and malaria.
Doc at the A&E saw me within half hour of my arrival. Managed to take blood for tests and set a drip after 1 try. He also prescribed me 2 bags of IV drip while the tests were being done. Tests showed that I wasn't down with dengue or malaria. Diagnosed as having viral fever and got sent back home with yet more paracetamols.
No improvement in condition. My gut told me that I wasn't getting the right treatment. Annoyed, I went back to A&E again, ready to show some attitude so that they will treat this properly. Oh but this time, after 2 blood tests, 1 urine test, and 1 chest x-ray, they finally got it! Hepatitis. My liver enzymes were more than 10x the normal range.
Was admitted. Chose a B1 ward but got bumped up to class A ward. Woohoo! The first 2 days were quite terrible. I was still getting the fever every few hours and lost my appetite as well. As a result, they put me on the IV drip 24/7. On the morning of the 2nd day, my blood pressure also dropped to critical levels (90/30+ I think. The normal range is 120/90) so they put me on a sodium and plasma drip. My blood was taken for blood tests every day and the nurses soon had to resort to taking the blood from the veins on my wrist as the usual spots were bruised and they couldn't find any other veins. All this while, they were also giving me antibiotics via drip and orally just so that if the liver infection is due to a bacterial cause, we'll be covered.
My condition miraculously turned for the better on the 3rd day where I only had a slight fever in the evening and my appetite came back! I managed to convince the nurse that I didn't need the IV drip any more and she agreed so no movable IV drip to restrict my movement. Needed to fast before going for an ultrasound scan so missed my Teochew steamed fish lunch (I've absolutely no fate with that dish. I ordered it for Wednesday's dinner but got discharged by lunch.). Friend G and ex-colleagues came that night. At the end of the night, my room was smelling of flowers from the company's hamper and friend G's sunflower. Plus the balloons from Sissy S and R - boy, did I feel happy.
The 4th day was almost like a holiday. I had no tests to be done with the exception of blood tests. Aunty J came in the afternoon again and I had a very deep nap after she left before dinner. So much so that I didn't even hear the nurse come in with dinner. I didn't realise I was that tired! Colleagues, ex-colleague J and friends came. Entertained till 11+ and got a lot more gifts. Of which, the most outstanding would be the panda balloon. Lots of laughter and catching up. Friend A said I seem to be having a party! ;)
Junior doc came by early in the morning on Day 5 (7+am) and said, "Good news! No fever yesterday. We should be able to discharge you today." I was left with mixed feelings when the consultant came slightly later and reiterated that I would be discharged. On the one hand, I wanted to be out because it's really not that cheap staying in a hospital but on the other, I was really starting to enjoy having friends come over! And really, the food was quite good!
I have the utmost admiration for nurses after this stay. They were practically coming into my room every 2 to 3 hours on nights 1 and 2 to give me meds 'cause I was feverish, to put me on the antibiotics drip then changing it to the IV drip, to refill my water, to bring me to the loo (there was no more movable IV drip holder on night 1 so I had a fixed one to my bed), to check on my vitals, to even take blood at 5am! And all that while, with no temper at all. Of course, I think I was also one of the nicest and most cooperative patients.
I was skeptical of the treatment I would get at CGH after hearing stories but I must say I'm one very satisfied patient. Although they misdiagnosed my condition during my first visit, my second visit was all pretty swift (admitted in about 3 hours). Add to that the bump up to class A ward (which was very nicely furnished by the way) and the awesome care by the nurses and doctors - that makes me one happy lady.
This experience has renewed my interest in being part of the healthcare sector, especially in being a doctor. I've always wanted to be a doctor but never worked hard enough to get the required grades. Or maybe I just wasn't smart enough. But I've realised that it's not all over yet. There's Duke-NUS which does graduate medical studies. Totally toying with the idea of doing it. First step is to get into volunteering to show that I've a passion to help people. If anything, it'll also help me gain some karma points.
MD or MBA. Hmm. Need to consider real hard.
These 5 days have also shown me who really bothers - my sissys, family, Aunty J, Aunty S, colleagues, ex-colleagues and friends. So thankful for all the love, care, concern and gifts that everyone has showered me. Those who came down and those who followed my progress via texts. I got admitted with just a purse and my phone. My folks brought my stuff in a small bag. But I went home with a car boot full of loot!
I feel so loved.

